Harrison School District Two is proud of our history and diversity.
To view a historical timeline (pdf) of the development of Harrison School District Two from 1874 -1971 click here.
To view a historical timeline (pdf) of the development of Harrison School District Two from 1972 - Present click here.
The history of Harrison School District Two is closely knit with the history of Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region. Hardy settlers found their way to Colorado Springs and homesteaded at the base of Pikes Peak along the fertile region of Fountain Creek.
Gold was discovered in Cripple Creek and it brought a rush of risk takers and speculators, ready for adventure and full of spirit and drive. And drive they did, up Pikes Peak by horse, railroad, and automobile.
They rode the Manitou Incline. They built the depot and celebrated unlikely millionaires with names Spencer Penrose, Winfield Scott Stratton, Chase Stone and others who formed the history of Colorado Springs.
They built the Broadmoor... the Antler's Hotel... the Colorado College... the Craigmoor Sanitarium... and they enjoyed the beauty and recreation of the area.
Colorado Springs flourished, became a small town and beautiful city.
Later, Fort Carson, and other military installations, became and remain today, an integral part of this area.
The history of Harrison School District Two began with its official organization on August 20, 1874, two years before Colorado became a state and three years after the city of Colorado Springs was founded.
Italian and English immigrant dairy farmers, with names...Bates, Lewis, Allen and Beaver, homesteaded along Fountain Creek and desired to provide the best possible education for their numerous children.
At that time, legislation allowed three people who lived in close proximity to form a school if they were willing to support a school. Then called District 2 or Bates School, Harrison School District Two is the second oldest organized school district in El Paso County.
1874-Bates School-the first classes were actually conducted in this, the Bates farmhouse, located on what is now the Circle Drive Mobile Home Park. One teacher, 14 pupils; classes started in October and continued for four months. Bates dairy farm later became part of Sinton Dairy.
1891-Harrison School-this two room facility was built on the Lewis Dairy Farm, where the Colorado Springs World Arena is constructed. It was named Harrison School and District for U.S. President Benjamin Harrison.
1916-13 people in Harrison District went to the polls and cast an unanimous vote for a new, larger school building, keeping the name Harrison School, to be built for $10,000 on three acres of land purchased from the Myron Stratton Home for $500.
The first floor of Harrison School consisted of a library (which also served as the principal's office), and two classrooms. The basement contained one classroom, a boiler room and an apartment for the custodian and his family - more than enough room for eight grades until 1951. Even as late as 1952, this school consisted of two teachers and 88 students.
Harrison School District encompasses 19 square miles on the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains. Harrison has 14 elementary schools, one k-8 community school, three middle schools, two high schools, one alternative school, and two charter schools, all of which serve a student population diverse in economic backgrounds and rich in ethnic pride. Harrison celebrates all cultures and strives to implement programs that teach the benefits and advantages of working together in a diverse society.
Today, just as in 1874, Harrison School District Two represents commitment and dedication by staff, students and our community. The school buildings are more numerous, the staff larger and our student population is currently over 10,000.